Tuesday 22 February 2011

LOOK THE PART;FEEL THE PART AND YOU WILL BE THE PART!

Most successful managers dress in a suit on match days..Sir Alex Ferguson,Arsene Wenger,Jose Mourinho,Harry Redknapp,Fabio Capello,Sven- Goran Eriksson,Roberto Mancini,Kenny Dalglish and so on.Others don't Martin O'Neill,Tony Pullis,David Moyes,the late Brian Clough,Steve Bruce ,Owen Coyle and so on.I have always believed in smart suits,ties etc on duty for matches etc.Now sports scientists at the University of Portsmouth studied the effect that coachs' appearances had on players impression of their competence.Their observations include many arguments for wearing suits.They found that a coach in a suit suggests strategic prowess;sporting gear technically more competent.....I actually think the coach feels more in command in a suit and the opponents note it. Old players now managers looks a bit sad to me.But I respect their choice....Two experiences for me.When I was a kid reporter on £10 a week in 1966 the Sunday Mirror picked me to cover a rugby international in Cardiff.They gave me first class rail money.I asked a senior from another paper what should I do as I have no money .Should I go second class and pocket the difference?.He told me travel first class,you will feel and write first class and its not your money!..Then many years later on a cold night in Eindhoven I watch PSV players looking at the AC Milan squad on the pitch (pre-match) in their wonderful dark Armani long overcoats.Milan were two up quite quickly.Tell me it was a co-incidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment